Thursday, August 11, 2011

REVIEW: A Weapon of Opportunity by Kiernan Kelly

A Weapon Of OpportunityA Weapon of Opportunity by Kiernan Kelly
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

CAUTION: Spoilers

I like this but I didn't really like the ending even though it was HEA. Sure, David came back and reunited with Hunter...but he's still a ghost! What happened to the issue of David being dead and Hunter aging as time goes by while dead David still look the same? Is it possible to have a future with a ghost as a lover? At the same time, I'm conflicted because I despise bittersweet stories and I didn't want David to be gone. I do want David back with Hunter, but I wanted David back as a living, breathing person. I wanted David to find some comatose person whose soul is gone and take over the body and then have that be the new David.

The story mainly focused on David as he help Hunter find the murderer. This was not a detective story but rather a paranormal suspense novel because we find out who the murderer is halfway through the story. True detective novels reveal the perp at the climax near the end of the story, like the second to last chapter, as the perp attempts to escape or commit whatever foul deed. Moreover, it's usually the detective who does the most detecting, not the their ghost sidekick. In this story, it was the reverse and Hunter was David's human sidekick. As someone who reads alot of paranormal mystery, it was refreshing to read from the ghost's perspective.

Despite the dissatisfaction I have with the ending, having Hunter adopting Cooper and creating a family with David was a sweet touch.

Amazon GoodReads

Post a Comment

You can also comment on the Goodreads version of my review. Click on the rating located in the beginning of my review to get to the webpage.